Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Me? Paranoid?

So you will have noticed a silence from me for a few days. That's because I was off camping with the family. We went to Lake Whitney State Park, met up with some friends and the cousins. Six adults, nine kids, three boats, and a large lake full of fish.



Here's a picture I took last night:



The first night we about got blown away by the wind and soaked by the rain, but we survived. A roaring campfire kept us warm the second night.

As you can imagine, a huge amount of fun.

But I didn't post about it in advance because, well, I didn't want someone burgling my house. Is that silly? Paranoid? I mean, in this day and age it can't be that hard to find out where I live. Sure, I have a ferocious dog guarding the place, but even so.

I wonder whether it's my job that makes me extra cautious that way. Not a bad thing, I suppose.

And talking of the job influencing my thoughts, we were sitting lakeside just this morning when a yellow fixed-wing plane flew low over the water towards us, heading for the state park's small airstrip. The kids stopped skipping stones and craned their necks to stare. It was a cool sight, the blue sky, pretty water, and the small aircraft wobbling in the air towards a landing.

As the kids ooh-ed and aah-ed, I muttered to myself:

"Drug runner, I expect."

At least I was able to laugh at myself. It gave me an idea, too, for the beginning of my new book.

4 comments:

  1. Who is the ugly guy in the canoe? Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The famous and hideous Lake Troll, trying to steal my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this new book that you reference going to be a sequel to The Bookseller??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon: Actually, no. That sequel is already written and in the hands of my agent. This one is a stand-alone, a little different. Still a crime novel, though, but written in the first-person and a little darker.

    ReplyDelete

Comments posted to this blog are NOT the opinion of the Travis County D.A.'s office, under any circumstances. They are only the personal, non-representative opinion of D.A. Confidential if posted under his name.
I welcome all comments, as long as they are expressed with politeness and respect. I will delete all comments that I deem to be personal attacks, or that are posted merely to antagonize or insult.